Tuesday, June 2, 2015

How NOT to Make Friends and Influence People in Second Life

Recently, I had reason to head to a Sandbox on an alt of mine, the lovely medieval Nineveh (named for the ancient city, of course, though I'm a few millennia off in how I dress her). Usually I don't interact much with the fellow people - walk in, unpack boxes, walk out. This time I was lingering a bit longer, mostly because I was distracted and depressed, when a few things happened to divert me further. Warnings for language below the cut, and a rather rude conversation as well. 

Image Description: Pale skinned woman in an ankle length dress. She has black hair with red tips tucked under a black hat.

[9 Day Noob]: I want to fuck someone im horny!!!!

When people draw attention to themselves, I tend to look. Six day old female avatar walking around literally bumping into people over and over again on a no-push sim. Even then, I was set to ignore her until she began to walk into me.

Nineveh Ashland: Dude, show some restraint.

[9 Day Noob]: stfu up asshole im new bitch

Nineveh Ashland: Yeah, I can tell. Usually I like helping new people, but not ones incapable of being polite.

[9 Day Noob]: well bitch you can stfu up bitch i dont need ypur fucking sympathy ugly rat ass gothic white bitch

I am definitely a Gothic kind of girl on Nineveh! Gothic Lolita Aristocrat, to be specific.

Nineveh Ashland laughs.
Nineveh Ashland: Pathetic.

taylor7213: Bitch your fucking mom is i swear whites are so dumb

She might be a person of color, but I've honestly found there seem to be a lot of white people who get off on "roleplaying" people of color using the worst stereotypes. All things being equal, I'm completely willing to assume this is another case of that.

Image Description: Close up of the face of a pale skinned woman with pink lips. She has black hair with red tips and the edges of a hat veil showing from the top of the picture.

Nineveh Ashland laughs again.

[9 Day Noob]: oh so thats all u can do right, laugh?

Nineveh Ashland: When confronted by nonsense, laughter is the only response.

[9 Day Noob]: Bitch your fucking race is NONSENSE...your absent-minded race! Fuck The White People

[Inadvertant Intruder]: whoops sorry!

[9 Day Noob]: STFU !!!

Nineveh Ashland: Is all that you have insults? I ask honestly - it seems like all you do is walk into people and curse. It seems like such a waste of your time.

[9 Day Noob]: Bitch YOU are a waste of fucking time every time you say something I keep remembering to take the trash out DuMb-AsS white bitch

Nineveh Ashland: Ah, so that is all you have. Shame.

[9 Day Noob]: Maybe you need the Lord because he put some shame in your heart

New Description: Torso shot of a pale women in a square-cut bodice looking to the left, with her face in profile.

I had already decided that was going to be the end of my engagement - it wasn't even interesting insults - and so I simply didn't respond. After a couple of minutes, she walked away and then flew into another sim high in the air. I kept sorting my inventory and trying on outfits - I wanted to leave Nineveh looking nice. 

About ten minutes later, I received the following in IM.

[9 Day Noob]: fuck u suck this pussy

This is one of those interactions where I'm always left sort of baffled afterwards.  I honestly can't figure out what is fun about what she was doing - and given she headed away from everyone shortly after our final interactions, and felt moved to IM me to continue the insults, I can only presume there is something powerful driving her to want to connect but only in the most crude and inelegant manner. The immediate jump from my helping her to "pity" is telling - I don't help people out of pity, but rather as a way of paying forward the help I've gotten in the past, and to hopefully make more friends.   

Reflecting back, though, my mood definitely played more into our interaction than I'd like. She was clearly spoiling for a fight, but I didn't need to play into that. Something to think about for the next, inevitable time this happens in some context or another.

Image Description: Woman wearing a black dress with gold symbols on it wearing a black hat with a veil. She is standing to the left in front of a view of a lake flanked by mountains.

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: Cupcake, Charm - Snow
Hair: Analog Dog, Mash
Hat: Frozen Night, Widow Hat
Eyes: Forest Feast, Fantasy Rabbit Eyes
Jewelry: EarthStones, Bullseye Set
Outfit: The White Armory, 17,000 Commemorative Gown
Shoes: Rui, Gothic & Lolita Mary Jane Shoes

Pose: !bang

Location: Soilel's Garden
Light Settings: Sim Default
Water Settings: Sim Default

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping

No comments:

Post a Comment