Friday, July 5, 2013

Blog the Beat #6: Into the Ocean

I'm Cold as Cold as Cold Can Be

This was a difficult song for me to relate to for this challenge - in terms of the gender conflicts inherent in the story, but I - like many people - know what it feels like to want to jump off of whatever vehicle we happen to be on, leaping away from expectations, restrictions, limitations, and responsibilities. I've always thought that one would just find oneself more solidly then, though - reflected through the eyes of a thousand new people. After all, isn't that just what Second Life offers us? A chance to jettison everything we are, including our appearance, except that which makes us who we are, our personality. While a different nature can be imitated for a while, I think that in the end the truth always rises to the top. Many people object to the number of people who enter into Second Life as a gender other than their own, even more than just about any other change, but I think there are advantages to shucking our appearance of gender and seeing what new prejudices and assumptions cling to us; the opinions of others can teach us so much. 


I’m just a normal boy
That sank when I fell overboard
My ship would leave the country
But I’d rather swim ashore

Without a life vest I’d be stuck again
Wish I was much more masculine
Maybe then I could learn to swim
Like ‘fourteen miles away’

Now floating up and down
I spin, colliding into sound
Like whales beneath me diving down
I’m sinking to the bottom of my
Everything that freaks me out
The lighthouse beam has just run out
I’m cold as cold as cold can be 
be

I want to swim away but don’t know how
Sometimes it feels just like I’m falling in the ocean
Let the waves up take me down
Let the hurricane set in motion… yeah
Let the rain of what I feel right now…come down
Let the rain come down

Where is the coastguard
I keep looking each direction
For a spotlight, give me something
I need something for protection
Maybe flotsam junk will do just fine
the jetsam sunk, I’m left behind
I’m treading for my life believe me
(How can I keep up this breathing)

Not knowing how to think
I scream aloud, begin to sink
My legs and arms are broken down
With envy for the solid ground
I’m reaching for the life within me
How can one man stop his ending
I thought of just your face
Relaxed, and floated into space

I want to swim away but don’t know how
Sometimes it feels just like I’m falling in the ocean
Let the waves up take me down
Let the hurricane set in motion… yeah
Let the rain of what I feel right now…come down
Let the rain come down
Let the rain come down

Now waking to the sun
I calculate what I had done
Like jumping from the bow (yeah)
Just to prove that I knew how (yeah)
It’s midnight’s late reminder of
The loss of her, the one I love
My will to quickly end it all
Set front row in my need to fall

Into the ocean, end it all

( More pictures here. )

Credits: 

Skin: De La Soul, Candace Creamer
Hair: The Stringer Mausoleum, Tenta - Seaweed
Eyes: De La Soul, Mesh Eye Rainbow
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Eyeshadow: Beautiful Freak, Sand & Sea Expo Hunt Gift
Wings: Deviance, Titania Mesh Fairy Wings
Jewelry: Donna Flora, Galatea Set
Hands: SLink, Rigged Mesh Hands
Nails: Izzie's, Metallic Nails
Shirt: Evie's Closet, Under the Sea Hunt Prize
Tail: Tarnished, Teal Seafoam Mermaid

Pose: Chisa Creations, Mermaid 03

Location: Cerridwen's Cauldron

Light Settings: TOR, HORROR Land rising
Water Settings: Nacon's Water

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment