- How long have you been blogging? I am about to hit my forth anniversary, though I never actually remember to mark it, on this blog. Before this blog, I had a brief journal on my Gaia Online account which detailed regular arguments I made in the Morality and Religion Forum, and before that I had journals on Journalfen and Livejournal - four on the latter - each for various purposes. My first Lifejournal post was on May 4, 2003, which seems an awfully long time ago now, so that means I'm coming up on my ten-year, non-location-consistent anniversary.
- Why did you start blogging? All my friends were. A whole bunch of us offline friends began on Livejournal to keep in touch and share news. At that point I had an office-based job, so it was a lot easier to post several times a week. Now I do all of my pictures and blogging in the evening, often after long days, so I blog less frequently.
- How many times a week do you post an entry? Probably - times a week, though for special events - like the current Fantasy Faire - I will blog as often as several times a day. When I combine Fantasy Faire, two challenges, and memes like this, I end up being a very busy girl.
- How many different blogs do you read on a regular basis? Tons. I have all of the Second Life related ones on my blogroll, and I have a ton more blogs on my Smartphone which I read during the day when I have snatches of time. My interests are eclectic, but they tend toward the social justice and geeky side of things.
- Do you comment on other people’s blogs? Depends on the blog. I have a few I comment on semi-regularly, but I don't feel like a "regular" anywhere. I often feel at a loss to comment on Second Life Fashion blogs; I'm more of an ideas person, so I'll respond to ideas and things. I have a tendency to be sort of flighty and switch between focusing on different things on a given day, so I think that impairs my ability to settle anywhere.
- Do you keep track of how many visitors you have? Obsessively. Well, not obsessively, but when I publish a blogpost it's really easy to check views, and so I often do and lament the scarcity of three digit numbers.
- Did you ever regret a post that you wrote? Not really. I ended up changing how I do my How NOT to... series after some responses from tertiary people in the Asshole Chronicles at the bottom, including usually giving people pseudonyms, but I can't say I regret making those things public, or the loss of acquaintanceship which resulted.
- Do you think your readers have a true sense of who you are based on your blog? Probably. I feel like I'm pretty consistent, even over time. Reading some of my initial Livejournal posts, I have a lot of the same tics, the same obsession with understanding things and picking them apart, and the same sometimes nasty sense of fairplay. I would suspect I see myself less clearly than other people see me, though; like most people, I imagine I focus on the details I particularly like or dislike and miss the forest for the trees.
- Do you blog under your real name? No, and I never have. I have a consistent and longstanding online identity, and I do everything online under that. I have recently been considering beginning a second persistent pseudonym for a specific purpose (not related to Second Life) but I've been dragging my feet because I feel a very real connection to Deoridhe, and it would be weird to go by any other name online.
- Are there topics that you would never blog about? I try to be as obscure as I can about my physical location, and I have some interests that I would tend to be less than forthcoming about. I've also had a fairly strict no nudity tradition both on the blog and on my flickr, and I doubt that will ever change. I also tend to not blog about things I simply dislike; everything on this blog is something I like at least part of, even if I might have critiques.
- What is the theme/topic of your blog? Second Life photography and experiences, peppered with occasional extra-Second Life themes. I don't consider myself a fashion blog, but I do receive reviews from people who like my pictures of their stuff.
- Do you have more than one blog? If so, why? Not really. I have a few different places still open, but I don't have time for regular posting to more than one place. If I had a low-demand office job it might be easier to keep up with multiple blogs, but as it is I often feel like I don't even keep up with this one.
- What have you found to be the benefits of blogging? Getting free stuff has actually helped me broaden out what I can buy; I still spend a lot in Second Life, but it's expanded by the gifts from wonderful people. I also sometimes get feedback on my pictures and thoughts, which I find very valuable. I have discovered I'm unexpectedly sensitive to critique on it which seems tangential, though; I have cried on a few occasions as a result of blog-related things. I think I'm getting better at pictures as a result of taking more of them, and I'm finding watching myself want things and respond emotionally as a result of the blog very interesting in terms of learning about all my secret dark crannies and personality flaws.
- So, why do you continue to blog? I really like the growing sense that I'm getting to know people better through it. I'm learning a lot, and that's very valuable. Also, it's nice to have a place to comment on pictures or just brain dump some of the things I think about during the day. It's also a place for me to try to focus as much as I can on the positive and on beauty, and to try to make a little beauty of my own.
( More pictures here. )
Skin: De La Soul, Candace - Ceredil (promotional item)
Eyes: De La Soul, Realism Eyes - FlamingCircuits (promotional item)
Ears: De La Soul, MESHear - Animale Long (promotional item)
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Lipstick: Adore & Abhor, Silent Star - Shine Rose
Hair: Analog Dog, Culprit
Butterflies: Boom, Metamorphisis
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle
Dress: Blue Blood, Tears
Jewelry 1: Primalot, Fairy Dust
Jewelry 2: Ginza, Slice of Summer
Hands: SLink, Mesh Hands
Nails: A:S:S, Lustre
Shoes: Eclectica, Hollywood Shoes
Poses: Adorkable Poses
Location: Betty Tureauds - The 9 At Planets
Light Settings: Phototools - Dead End
Water Settings: Mirror Glass
Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only