Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Walking on Sunshine

Horny

I'm having a complete ball wandering around the RFL sims and exploring the enormous displays people have created on either side of it. I have no idea if I'll manage to circle around again, but I'm enjoying myself as I go. The sheer diversity is amazing to me, and strongly reminds me of a similar diversity at SL9B. It makes me think of the mainland as well, a place I've started to explore, which has a gleeful disregard for surroundings. The state of things in Second Life always somewhat remind me of the effects of Home Owners Associations, where a neighborhood agrees on a certain look and the ability to, say, paint your house bright pink and have a flock of flamingos in front is no longer allowed. Mainland is a world without those restrictions and also without the restrictions of a great deal of money, so people put out all kinds of things with varying levels of attractiveness, leading to wars of walls and dividers. I remember when a roleplaying sim I adore got neighbors who built a city in the clouds, and proceeded to drive cars off the edge into the sim itself - they were less than co-operative about no longer doing that. Much like the wars of hedges and poison which occur offline, this online boundary war is a symbol of the difficulties of people getting along with people; the difficulties of diversity.

One downside to how diffused culture has become is that those opportunities for us to rub up against each other and hopefully learn to tolerate each other have been decreased; we can exist on our own little islands, expelling people who disagree with us at a moment's notice. I try to make a point of keeping a diversity of views, both in regards to Second Life (a listing on my side is not an endorsement, but it does mean I read you!) and in regards to the world in general. I have the hardest time with this in areas I take very personally, like abortion and rape. It's easier with contentious things that no one can take from me, like my religion, though I have lost friends who denigrated my intellect or sanity because of my religion. I've been friends with misogynists and racists as well, and argued points with them on those topics; I'm still on the fence as to how appropriate that is. On the one side, I am a trusted person who disagrees with them, so I might open their mind. On the other side, several have claimed that maintaining friendships implies endorsement of all of another persons' beliefs. I'm not sure that's true, any more than being listed on my sidebar means I agree 100%, but there are circumstances where I am significantly less sure on this point.

Give Me that Phone!

The outfit is a gorgeous new release from katat0nik, with matching shoes and socks. After I bought both fatpacks, kat passed me a fatpack of the socks - aren't they the cutest? It is mesh, but I'm actually wearing it in these pictures without an invisi-layer, which is a bit of a blast; usually my belly doesn't fit under dresses! It comes with panties but not a bra, so I hope I'm not flashing everyone. The hair is an awesome release from Discord Designs for the Hair Faire, which is another big event for charity.The thing I adore about this hair is how long it is, how the braid curves down and up and over the shoulder, how the ends dangle down - I haven't had hair this long since my early days in Second Life, before body clipping started really bothering me. This hair can be difficult to pose with, but it is completely awesome looking when you get it right and the mesh quality of it means it moves pretty decently in world. My one complaint, and it is a little one, is that one of the side bangs clip the front of my ears so close ups are single sided, but otherwise I could wear it for days in happiness.The gathering of hair in the back and throughout the braid is naturalistic and loose, it's like I'd braided it together in a rush and just left the ends hanging, because it's so damn long I can't be bothered with it! My only wish now is for a flower festooned braid a la Rapunzel; hopefully my dreams can come true! The jewelry is an amazing set of pearls from Eclectica with two types of earrings (one long, one short), which I managed to put on twice on my uber long Illusions ears. I love the delicacy of the pearls, each little fastening perfect.

Discarded

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: De La Soul, Aestali - Cream Rose
Eyes: De la Soul, RooMee Rainbow
Ears: Illusion, Seelie Ears
Eyelashes 1: *X*plosion, PrimLashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Eyeshadow: Mock, eShadow Fall Festivale Pumpkin
Lipstick: Mock, Opal Lipcolor Mocha
Hair: Discord Designs, Phoenix (promotional item)
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle Wings
Jewelry: Eclectica, 'Enchant' Pearl Jewelry - amethyst
Dress: katat0nik, Allura Dress
Socks: katat0nik, Allura Socks (gift)
Shoes: katat0nik, Allura Wedges

Poses: Long Awkward Pose

Location: Relay For Life
Light Settings: Bentham
Water Settings: Atomist 2

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment