Friday, April 13, 2012

Teal Unusual

Wading

This morning, driving between one place and another, I heard a review of a new television show; the main character, female, was described as having a "secret weapon" that was "spunk." It was one of those feminist moments, when something hits my 'this is wrong' spot; granted, the show in question is called 'girls', so I know a lot of people would argue that the characters and series are asking for condescension since they're styling themselves as pre-pubescent when being in their twenties. "Spunk" is an odd complecondescend that works on several levels; on the surface, it rarefies women as non-assertive and passive - there is no male equivalent of the descriptor because men are assumed to speak up for themselves and stand up for themselves, but for women that is often the exception. It is meant as a complement, though, so any women such described is at a disadvantage when objecting to it - it indicates you are bright and self-possessed and can stand up for yourself; women, never pleased by anything, amirite? There is a secondary, underlying implication of the word which only hit me as I was dwelling on it in between clients. "Spunk" is slang for male ejaculate. This brings in a sexual component which I find deeply disturbing, as well as reinforcing that women are not naturally like this; it takes male ejaculate to make a woman assertive and self-possessed; she must really have "balls", right?

No Sudden Moves

The jewelry is an awesome set from Elemental which will be available for 60$L over this weekend. I love the quality of stone; I'm not sure quite how she managed the semi-translucent effect, since I didn't see any evidence of glow in play, but it's really impressive. My only complaint is that it only came with a necklace and earrings; the flower, in particular, would be amazing as bracelets and I'd love to see some kind of hair ornament, maybe with the blue stones dangling? The dress is an amazing mesh release from SLC Couture which has a fantastic shape to it. Unlike a lot of large sizes, this nips in at the waist, which fits my shape well while also allowing my breasts to be almost as big as they should be! The inside of the dress is invisible; I don't know the ins and outs of mesh-making at all so this may be out of line, but having the insides of skirts in particular being invisible can make it very difficult for angled photography. However, for all I know, filling in may be equally a pain in the butt! I'd love to see something like a layered slip, though, or some sort of crinolines; I think the effect could be really neat. My, I'm full of opinions tonight!

A Moment's Rest

The hair is an awesome recent release from Analog Dog. That style hasn't moved over to mesh yet, but it uses a cunning dual-attachment setup that I am completely not showing here. This hair comes with a shoulder attachment so that you can have longer hair if you want; I didn't add it due to the mesh top, but it's in much the same style as the upper head attachment, with the same flyaway style. I added in a bracelet from Earthstones, which I really, really like; it's a combination of mottled shapes over a curved metal that matched the tone of the amazing set from Elemental. I'm wearing some of my favorite old shoes from G Field which have stood me well and matched the unique coloration of the SLC Couture dress. The lipstick is from Mock and is an amazing subtle texture; I otherwise went nude in my De La Soul skin, which is the first time in a while. It's a lovely soft texture and delicate shading, which really feels like "me" in Second Life.

Wild Runway

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: De La Soul, Aestali - Cream Rose
Eyes: De La Soul, Rainbow MESH
Eyelashes 1: *X*plosion, PrimLashes
Eyelases 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Ears: Illusions, Mystic Ears
Hair: Analog Dog, Sapphire - Blonde
Lipstick: Mock, Opal Lipcolor Matrix
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle
Jewelry: Elemental, Audrey - Blue Tah Pearl (promotional item)
Bracelet: EarthStones, Twisted & Stoned Labradorite & Moonstone
Dress: SLC, Tina swirl blue MESH (promotional item)
Shoes: G Field, Ribbon Slingback Shoes - cobalt blue

Poses: Striking Poses

Location: BUG'ArT
Light Settings: TOR, EUPHORIA rotten melon
Water Settings: Glassy

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping only

No comments:

Post a Comment