Monday, February 2, 2015

Monday Meme: Motivational Messages

Monday Meme: Motivation

Strawberry wants to motivate us all! Or, rather, she wants us all to make motivational Second Life posters and talk about how we motivate ourselves. My motivational poster (maker here) ended up being a lot more of a Rorschach than I expected, but I blame Whiskey for that! She talks about a series of mantras to say each morning that I really rather like and might gleefully steal. My own motivational means are much more in the moment, though - a technique called "turtle steps" that I learned from Martha Beck - or rather one of her books.

Often I come across things I really don't want to do, and the trick is to figure out the "turtle step" - the tiny little thing you can do toward your goal - to do, then do it, then reward yourself. If you can't manage step two, then the "turtle step" was too big and you need to make it smaller. For example, when I don't want to do my offline paperwork, which is massive, I will take various turtle steps of opening the things I need to do it, then writing just a sentence, then writing another sentence, until the note is written. Each turtle step gets a reward of something else I want to do, and often several turtle steps in I'm doing the thing I don't want to do but need to. I have similar turtle steps growing with tasks like dishes, laundry, and other chores I don't enjoy - breaking them down into tiny pieces until the momentum begins and I finish the tasks.It seems, and is, very simple and a good way to motivate myself to do things!

Why Look When You Can Dive?

( More memes here. )

Credits: 

Skin: Izzie's, Irene
Sparkles: Folly, Rainbow Sheen
Hair: Exile, Windsong (c88)
Ears: .:Soul:., High Elf
Eyes: .:Soul:., RooMee
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Wings: Deviance, Sidhe
Hands and Feet: SLink, Rigged Mesh Hands and Feet
Outfit: Pixicat, Unicorn Dress
Horn and Tail: +Half-Deer+, Unicorn Horn + Tail Set (c88)
Shoes: Pixicat, Unicorn Heels

Pose: Flowey, Enchanted Metropolitan Twilight

Location: Nothing Endures But Change
Light Settings: TOR, MIDDAY Precision Blue
Water Settings: [NB], Hidden Depths

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, layer editing

4 comments:

  1. I like that...turtle steps.
    And your picture is not 'creepy' its artistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the picture! The "What's the worst that can happen?" Not exactly cheerful and encouraging, right? But thank you. ^.^

      Delete