Thursday, April 3, 2014

MadPea Hunt: The Lost Mine of Stonehaven

MadPea has started a new hunt, this one precipitated by Professor Peabody who purloined a map then misplaced it. He claims to know how to get to the Lost Mine of Stonehaven, but he needs our help, and it's rumored great rewards await those who dare to find the mine.

MadPea's Blog has a brief Introduction to the Hunt; I started in Mad City, walking a few steps from the landing point to the enormous board where you can buy the HUD (in the middle) and a variety of avatars (optional and offer no advantages) and companions (optional, but provides hints).I picked up a little Pea who looked lonely and we quickly became fast friends. He's extremely chatty - saying whether there's a something I want every five to ten seconds or so, but when one is flying around a sim that pace is actually appreciated. He only helps for the first two legs of the journey, but as those are the farthest flung steps I have to admit I appreciated him a great deal and I don't think I would have finished those steps half as quickly without him.

Lost Mine of Stonehaven: Buy a HUD

Welcome to the Lost Mine Hunt, Adventurer!  Professor Madrigal Peabody invented a portal into another world and found a lost mine full of riches! He wrote down a map to get back to it, but unfortunately, ripped it up thinking it was his grocery list!

Now he needs your help to find the pieces and put the map together again. If you succeed in this task, you will get to access the portal that takes you to the Lost Mine full of gold, gems, chalices, and other such wonders. Riches untold to be sure.
 

What are you waiting for? Start looking for the map pieces around Mad City and put the map together again! Please understand that this game is a point-and-click treasure hunt. Clicking items will give you clues to advance in the game. Make sure to pay attention in nearby chat for instructions.

Clicking the ? -symbol on the HUD will take you on our help blog. We also have help available in MadPeas' group chat 24/7.

Good luck, Adventurer! Begin the game at Mad City: Da Vinci Isle (112,100,33)


Lost Mine of Stonehaven: Pieces of Map

The HUD is blank when you start - and so you end up going around Mad City picking up pieces of paper - fifteen in all - until you piece together the map. By far, the best thing I found as I went was to look inside the stores when my little Pea of Knowledge started chattering that a piece of map was near. Besides this one spot inside a movie theater, inside of stores was the most common place for me to find paper. I think because it's off of the street and out of immediate view, it avoids most peoples' attention.

You did it! You pieced the map back together! Quick, click it to open the magical portal and you will get taken to the long lost mine with all the riches! Woot, you'll be rich!

Lost Mine of Stonehaven: A New Puzzle

Clicking the map offers a teleport and brings up a weird looking door with twenty little slots in it over the map. Once you accept the teleport, you are standing in front of the actual weird door, set into the side of a mountain.

Hmm... I shouldn't have thought it would be this easy to get the riches! This door is stopping me from entering the Mine! It seems to have 20 holes in it.. wonder what goes in there. I'm pretty sure though that if I insert the right things in, it will open. Hey, don't get any crazy ideas here! The shape looks like a crystal.. maybe I should go and look for some dirtpiles around here to see what I can find!

Lost Mine of Stonehaven: Pile of Dirt

There are all these little piles of dirt all over the place, and when you click on them shining jewels glimmer for a moment before you pick them up. They are all over, and again I had a lot of luck with the store like areas, where fewer people seemed to go.

Lost Mine of Stonehaven: Door Opening

All that effort sure paid off! Now I have 20 crystals! I should go and take them to the door and cross my fingers that it will open! I think I can get back there again by clicking the map.

Click on the door, and a whole bunch of crystals fit into place before the door swings open. Walk inside, and suddenly you find yourself... teleporting... without even meaning to.

Wow, this is awesome! Now I'll just walk in and get my treasure!

Pea Clue Finder: Oh my! The Lost Mine!  How glorious it is! I've never been here and will be of little use to you though.

Lost Mine of Stonehaven: Main Mine Puzzle

A little ways inside the door is a figure with a single red gem in it and six other empty spaces. Clicking it gets you a message about needing a different kind of gems.

Wait! What was that sound?! It sounded like I activated something somewhere. It seems like finding these gems is needed for something later. I'd better find them all!

I have no easy way to describe the next few movements. It's a confusing, circular cave system with different gems, sometimes hidden along the edge of a wall, other times findable after solving a puzzle of light, and still other times just along a long ways and tucked behind some falling sand. I also missed a door near the beginning, thinking it was an end game thing - don't make my mistake; I ended up having to go back for it and then make my way to the end again.

Lost Mine of Stonehaven: Door Puzzle

Mysterious Door: Deoridhe Quandry, a faint grinding sound is coming from the door, better hurry. 
Mysterious Door: Deoridhe Quandry rotating the last ring into place, the door rolls out of the way

It's a lovely snowy room inside but I'm left wondering how it snows underground...? There are lots of amazing, narrow passageways with lovely crystals and hanging bits all over the place, too, which made it really fun to explore. However, one of the other places I ended up in had a cave in, and I ended up having to do some hard labor. Boooo~

Dumbar: LOOK OUT! THERE'S A CAVE IN!
Dumbar: Oh no! The falling rocks have blocked your way! Touch me for a mining pick to get rid of these infernal boulders! (Wear the pick axe then touch the boulders)
Dumbar: Because I have so much experience in mining, I will sit here and supervise!
Dumbar grins at you

Click, click, click - it was only a matter of moments before the stones were all cleared away.

Dumbar: Great work! Looks like you're all clear to move on!  Better hurry though, cave in's happen quite frequently here!

Lost Mine of Stonehaven: Light Puzzle

A lot of the puzzles are fun little logic puzzles, and the most complicated thing is getting your chance to try it out. On the last puzzle before the end, I was always an adjunct to someone else solving it - and I went through three times in total. Once you have your seven gems, though, it's time for a lovely ride through the mineshafts to the prize area. The nice thing about how they set it up is that you have to click on the store treasure boxes you want, so if you use the handy MadPea Gift Guide you can pick what you prefer and nothing more - something I really appreciated. Much as I love an avalanche of gifts, my inventory is becoming too unmanageable for them; being able to pick and choose was really an amazing bonus to a really fun game.

Lost Mine of Stonehaven: Victory

( More pictures, including pictures of the other puzzles, here. )

Credits: 

Skin: Izzie's, Irene
Hair: Discord Designs, Abney
Ears: Illusions, Seelie Ears
Eyes: De La Soul, Rainbow
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Wings: Una, Steampunk Wings
Hands & Feet: SLink, Rigged Mesh Hands & Feet
Nails: Pin Me Down, Neon
Necklace: MV, Shadowcat Necklace
Outfit: Asteria Creations, Wild Bedrosian
Watch: Eclectica, Mechanika fob
Bracelet: Snugabugs Designs, Chunky Bracelet
Bag: MadPea, Lost Mine Accessory
Shoes: Fri, Jet Heels (VIP Gift)

Poses: Olive Juice

Location: MadPea Hunt: Lost Mine of Stonehaven
Light Settings: Sim Default
Water Settings: sim Default

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment