Sunday, December 25, 2011

How NOT to Scam in Second Life

Ornaments

I get hit on more often than I get attempted-scammed, and I don't get hit on often, so this gem on Christmas Day blew me out of the water. I've renamed our contestant today Idiot Scammer, but her user name actually did begin with an H (this becomes important later).

[16:38] [Idiot Scammer]: Hey Deo  Really Sorry To ask this but , Can i just lend you 200 l$ please ? Promise i'll give you this Back Very very soon , It's really not in my habits to ask for money  =S
[16:39] Deoridhe Quandry: Who are you, exactly?

At this point I open up my area scanner and find she's about 53 meters away from me in a fashion sim. She's over four years old, so she should know better. The name is not at all familiar.

[16:40] [Idiot Scammer]: I play the IA RP , We met There

Side note - I've been very reclusive in the rp, so I can count the people I've rped with on one hand and I'd remember most of their names - the rest would be familiar through my watching the group chat. This name was not at all familiar, and the Display Name was full of those weird characters that I'm inclined to remember. I then checked her profile, and she's not in any of the roleplaying groups. Also, we don't call it IA RP; the phrasing is definitely off and my scammer senses are tingling.

[16:40] [Idiot Scammer]: Sorry to ask
[16:40] [Idiot Scammer]: Really
[16:41] Deoridhe Quandry: That's odd. You seem to not be in any of the groups. Odd behavior for a roleplayer.
[16:42] [Idiot Scammer]: I hide those groups cause i'm a Fashion Blogger Too , I don't want people to judge me with this

She is, in fact, a fashion blogger - one of the tiny eyes & big frowny mouth set with the characteristic t-rex arms. I won't link, but suffice it to say I would have remembered the look even with as careless as I can be with paying attention to my surroundings. I'd snark on the blog, but since you can't see it that's kind of unfair.

[16:42] Deoridhe Quandry: Though that pause DID give you time to check my profile and come up with a more plausible lie to cover the fact you are 53 meters from me.
[16:42] Deoridhe Quandry: Right. What's my character in IA, since you remember me and I don't remember you?
[16:43] [Idiot Scammer]: You're mean !
[16:43] Deoridhe Quandry: You're lying.
[16:44] Deoridhe Quandry: That's a bit MORE mean.
[16:44] Deoridhe Quandry: Especially since you're trying to swindle me out of money by pretending I know you.
[16:44] [Idiot Scammer]: Anyways
[16:44] [Idiot Scammer]: I'm just Lending , You can add me in your contacts
[16:44] [Idiot Scammer]: Wasn't lying about that
[16:45] Deoridhe Quandry: Right. Shoo. Go try to swindle someone else.
[16:45] [Idiot Scammer]: =/

Since she insisted she wasn't lying, I went to check the group for the roleplay she supposedly knew me through - even if you have hidden your group in  your profile, you still show up there. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, even when their story sounds as rotten as month-old moose meat. Shockingly, she wasn't in the group.

[16:47] Deoridhe Quandry: Wow, FOUR H names in Amras Roleplay and none of them are you!

Oddly, she didn't have anything to say after that. Wonder why.

Fragile

A few notes about the outfit, because several of the items deserve note. The katat0nik top and skirt are actually separate pieces and include a game card for the new Ozimal's Stamp Collection event. What event you ask me? The Pufflings Present Pursuit, says I. At 100$L and under each, they are a steal to get yourself some stamp cards. Also, don't be worried if your stamp card isn't full; once you've hit the last store, you are set. The skin is a special holiday makeup from De La Soul, available for only 99$L at her store for the holidays! The shoes are a delightful new design from Grim Bros, and the red set were actually in her midnight mania recently and may return soon again. The most awesome thing about them, though, is that the butterflies actually move!! It's like a little bit of Harumagari on my feet! Also, the poses were all Advent gifts from aDORKable poses; she still has a couple of hunts on, even if the Advent season is over, so go! Go! Go!

Castle Under the Tree

( More pictures here. )

Credits: 

Skin: De La Soul, Beatrice - Barley (Caroling Makeup)
Eyes: De La Soul, RooMee Eyes - Rainbow
Eyelashes: *X*plosion, Prim Lashes
Hair: Wasabi Pills, Sachiko Mesh Hair (Promotional Item)
Ears: Illusions, Mystic Ears
Dress: katat0nik, Snow Day - Light Blue
Ring: Earthstones, Eternal Blossom Ring - Bouquet
Shoes: Grim Bros, Butterfly Love - turquoise

Pose: aDORKable Poses

Location: Old Europe Winter Village
Light Settings: TOR, EUPHORIA Sleep Warm

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping only

2 comments:

  1. "one of the tiny eyes & big frowny mouth set with the characteristic t-rex arms" - falls over laughing

    Wow - WHAT BLOGGER WAS IT? I'm sure the Fashion Bloggers group would like to know. At least I would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *slips Emerald a folded piece of notepaper, grinning*

    ReplyDelete