Tuesday, October 23, 2012

2012 Color Challenge: Week 43 - Ghost White

Graveyard

I'm getting Ghost White in early so that I can focus on a few other things on my plate, but I really had a good time with it! I set it at MadPea's latest hunt, the Praying Mary hunt, which goes until the end of the month, and what I was aiming for was a ghostly figure in the darkness - an attempt at in-world, unedited chiaroscuro using a combination of windlight settings and body lights. Chiaroscuro is the purview of one of my favorite artists of all times, Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn,and the idea behind it was of things rising out of the darkness, highlighted by the halo of humanity which illuminated his subjects. My favorite of his works is Lucretia, a moment poised while she's still contemplating the actions she will take; I'm unsure what I find so compelling about this (and I admit, on the computer screen it is significantly less inspiring) but I would linger by it every time I went to the National Art museum, leaning close to see the scraping of his pallet knife across the canvass, singing into the expression in her eyes, the slight smile of her lips as if she found some peace in a desperate act, the luster of the pearls and heavy weight of her gown. You can't see it on the screen, but in person the contrast between the smooth, soft texture of her skin and the harsh, angular, scraped texture of her dress is all but tactile. I adore his other work, but Lucretia transfixes me every time.

Fading into Night

In my own, paler imitation of chiaroscuro, I shifted to a feathered skin from Fallen Gods and paired it with a similarly feathered dress from Angelwing, complete with little details along the sides and feathered fans for dancing. In the absence of anything more ghostly, I felt the effect of the feathering was reminiscent of a snowy owl, often the ghost of the evenings - but a violent ghost, moving silently through the night until he prey is spotted. The hearts of that prey are transfixed on my horns, from Rue, which were part of the Twisted Hunt sometime in the recent past. More ghostly hints come in the form of my wings, a lucky chair win from ni.ju a while back; the effect of them, when angled correctly, is really impressive - fading from light to shadow in smooth lines of demon wings.The only other detail was my hair, an old release from Wasabi Pills in a perfectly pale white. I felt like the final effect was a little demonic, a little owlish, and a little uncanny all at once.

A Little Cross

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: Fallen Gods, Feathers (Promotional Item)
Eyes: De La Soul, RooMee Eyes - Rainbow
Ears: Illusion, Seelie Ears
Hair: Wasabi Pills, Cookie (Promotional Item)
Eyelashes: SLink, Eyelashes
Horns: Rue, Horn'd Marchmaker
Outfit: Angelwing, Feather Fairy
WIngs: ni.ju, Glow Dragon Wings - Ghost
Floater: katat0nik, Freebie Ghost

Poses: Glitterati

Location: MadPea: The Case of Praying Mary
Light Settings: AmbientDark
Water Settings: Mirror Water

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment