Monday, February 3, 2014

Second Life Event: Mingle Guide and Walkthrough

2014-02-03 Mingle_001

I have had the devil of a time figuring out the Mingle Event, which is going on for the month of February, and so I figured I'd make a small FAQ that can help other people along the way. There is a group associated with it which is rather difficult to find - use the in world search for "Holiday Appreciation" and look for the group owned by Mingle (HolidayAppreciationAssociation). The starting point is on the Mingle Sim. The instructions say you will be given a HUD, and there is also a box you can click which works no matter which group you are in; I tested the event using the HUD but not in the group for those who are grouplocked, and it works well, so you can follow these instructions. 

Once worn, look in your local chat for the HUD's instructions. The conceit is that this is a series of calls and text messages, and I thought it was really a charming framing for something which encourages people to interact with each other. Tasks may involve two or more other people, and the tasks are timed - so rushing through it isn't an option. I found the location extremely laggy, so I dropped my graphics standards down to Medium and kept my Draw Distance down and it helped immensely.

Once you finish the twenty tasks, then you can get the prizes. You can stop between tasks if you need to do something else and the HUD will remember where you were. I recommend going with a group if you can; I saw one family doing it and it was simply adorable. 

With those basics laid out, lets get on with the game!

2014-02-03 Mingle_002

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: Look down and follow the white arrows to begin your Mingle journey!

Follow the arrows and you will, Alice-like, fall into the event. When you hit the ground, Mr. Faust Steamer has sent you a text with an attachment from your mom. I really adore the cell phone effect; it's such fun and having the creators as our texting buddies is adorable. 

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Walton: I told your mom you were going out tonight... she told me to give you this, LOL. (Click to open file in notepad app attachment)

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: Find 5 things that will help you make a good first impression!

2014-02-03 Mingle_003

And the first task begins! When you click on an inappropriate thing (like a cigar), there a "Whap whap whap waaaa" sound and the HUD says: "I really don't need that to get ready!" Freaking adorable. When you finally find something which works, you get whistled at and the item gets checked off your list form your mom. Thanks mom! After five things you can go out, but I have to admit I had fun getting whistled at by a HUD and went over the five a little... ok, I checked them all off. I wanted to make a good impression! Breath Mint?

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: All set, let’s head into town!  Head downstairs and click on the door to start your evening!

When you successfully click on the door, you get cheered for. Best pick-me-up ever. The next stop is a store, and you already have a text from Charming Meiler reminding you to bring flowers with you for your special someone. You can pick up some of the low price gifts around you or head out the door looking for a flower stand.    

2014-02-03 Mingle_004

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Charmy: I just took a jog through town and passed the most beautiful flower stands. Everyone was gushing at all the beautiful colors! Pick 5 different color flowers for someone special.

This is purely a matter of taste, but I made a simply gorgeous bouquet. There are a ton of colors to pick from as well, and then you get your next text message.

2014-02-03 Mingle_005

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Cae: Someone is holding a 'Free Hugs' sign near the movie theater, you should get them to give you a sign and offer some hugs, too!

Down the block a little, by a drive in theater, you'll find a couple hugging with a big "Free Hugs" sign. Click on the sign and yay, poseballs.

Mingle Free Hugs: Find someone to hop on the pose balls with you to complete the task!
Mingle Free Hugs: Relax a bit!  You've got 30 seconds until you're done here. :)

You're looking for someone to hug you and also to linger for thirty seconds, so be patient. I got snuggled by the most adorable little kid - so it's worth the wait.

2014-02-03 Mingle_006

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Rose: I heard you're having a fun-filled day and meeting new people! Why don't you capture the moment with someone in that old photobooth on the pier we love. I'd love to see the picture when we meet up next! :D

Now a text from Naminaeko - wanting pictures. Nothing risque, of course, but it means hunting down a photobooth for some snaps. I ended up bringing in my doppelganger, Deoridhe Starr, for a pretty picture, and we lingered for fifteen seconds before the pictures were finally done, making faces.

Mingle Photobooth: Find someone to hop on the pose balls with you to complete the task!
Mingle Photobooth: Relax a bit!  You've got 15 seconds until you're done here. :)

2014-02-03 Mingle_007

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Charlotte: Hey, buddy! Just wanted to let you know that they're giving away free Valentine's Day cards at the Flutter Gift Shop! I grabbed 5. Why don't you do the same and spread the love to 5 people.

This is heading back where you started, to that perfectly charming little gift shop. There's a table of free cards, and when you wear them your arms go up above your head, waiting for people to click on them.

Mingle Event Valentines Task: Please attach this item and find 5 people to click the Valentines cards from you.

I ended up walking over to the restaurant nearby where a family was more than happy to take my riches, and then i headed outside and got some cards form some other people, too. This really is a cooperative game where everyone works together to win.

2014-02-03 Mingle_008

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Tegan: They got a new jukebox at the Lemon Drop. I hear it's a great place to meet people. Pick a song and ask someone to dance!

I headed over to the candy shoppe nearby and indulged in a soda while I waited for someone i knew to come by... but in the end it was my darling doppelganger who came to my rescue, and as a reward I got her dressed up in something nice. She always has my back.

Mingle Jukebox: Find someone to hop on the pose balls with you to complete the task!
Mingle Jukebox: Relax a bit!  You've got 30 seconds until you're done here. :)

2014-02-03 Mingle_009

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Anya: OMG, my sister and I just took the silliest pic in one of those face in a hole things on the pier. You HAVE to find someone to try it with.

Somehow my friends always know when I need something to do, and this time its Anya Ohmai with another suggestion for another set of pictures on the pier. Man, next time I hope they talk and give their suggestions grouped by local! I bring my doppelganger with me and treat her to some funnel cakes while we look for the faces in a hole boards.

Mingle Shark Face Photo Wall: Find someone to hop on the pose balls with you to complete the task!
Mingle Shark Face Photo Wall: Relax a bit!  You've got 15 seconds until you're done here. :)

2014-02-03 Mingle_010

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Aime: Are you at the pier? I heard that balloon game is rigged! Try to aim for the red balloon.

Yay, Anya must have checked in with Aime, because this time the suggestion is a pier based one - one of those really fun balloon games, only it might be rigged. I put on my deerstalker cap, grab a pipe, and go to investigate. At first I think this might be the challenge to beat me, but a few minutes concerted clicking and that red balloon is mine - and so is the pretty blue bear I pick up.

Mingle Carnie: Nice shot, Deoridhe Quandry! Pick out a bear prize!
Mingle Carnie: Psst, hey buddy.. make sure you pick which bear you want quickly!  The guy's forgetful, you don't want to have to do it again!

2014-02-03 Mingle_011

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Zuzu: Have you tasted the chocolates at the candy store? They're having a sale, you should grab a box! Share them, though... they're too addictive! :)

Back to the candy shop, this time to check out the chocolates on the bar. I picked up an enormous box, and right away they wanted ot be shared with everyone - so off I went to find people who had a chocolate craving.

Mingle Chocolate Box (Wear Me): Please attach this item and find 9 people to click your chocolates.

This was probably my biggest challenge. I walked up to a few people offering chocolates, but they were caught up in their own things. I ended up passing off a bunch of them to my dollelganger, who was surprisingly voracious. In her defense, they were delicious chocolates.

2014-02-03 Mingle_012

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Maylee: The beach is so beautiful at night. Why don't you invite someone to enjoy it with you on the sand.

I initially thought that this was some sort of walking HUD, but actually this was a lovely little blanket set with a twig to draw in the sand with. On my way down to it I met a couple of friends who were deeply amused by myself and my doppelganger hanging out together - I was glad to give them a giggle.

MingleBeachBlanket: Find someone to hop on the pose balls with you to complete the task! MingleBeachBlanket: Relax a bit!  You've got 30 seconds until you're done here. :)

2014-02-03 Mingle_013

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Kaz: Kat just texted me. They got new prizes at the dunk tank game! You should try your luck and see if you can score one.

This is really a wonderful date event to do - it kind of makes me wish I had someone long-suffering to drag along and dunk in a tank. Like you might expect, the dunk tank is on the pier and sit and clickable, and either someone else can send you into the depths, or you can do it yourself. The prize is an adorable kitty - I'm really getting a ton of prizes for these games.

MingleDunkTank: Find someone to dunk you to complete the task!
MingleDunkTank: Pick your kitty prize off to the left!  Choose quickly or the operator might forget you won something!
MingleDunkTank: Pick your kitty prize off to the left!  Choose quickly or the operator might forget you won something!

2014-02-03 Mingle_014

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Zen: I once carved initials in a tree for this chick and she loved it. It's better than a pick up line... you should try it. The biggest tree in town is near Jenkel's.

Jenkle's is this adorable beach mini golf with an enormous tree next to it. Sit on the tree and bam - endless rewriting of names without overly damaging the tree; it's like magic.

2014-02-03 Mingle_015

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Emery: I just ate the most amazing dinner last night at Kapika. You should treat someone to a nice meal there!

Kapika Hostess: Table for two? Please pick any table and have a seat.

Waiter: Welcome to Kapika, let me know when you’re ready to order. Please have a look at the menu in front of you. Click the menu to make your selection!

The next step is surprisingly difficult when you're two people - you have to click on the menus and then the waiter - who has been standing patiently by - complements you on your choice and vanishes, leaving you staring at your dining partner (who must also be wearing a HUD, or you cannot continue). This is also the point where I realized that unfortunately this hunt isn't open to the sight impaired. My doppelganger was on Radegast, a common text-only browser, and not only couldn't she wear the HUD while on it, she also couldn't click on the menus. I ended up running double computers briefly to get us through.

Waiter: Fantastic choice! I will be back shortly with your meals.

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: Spark a conversation! Try asking this icebreaker to the person closest to you:
What's the most recent movie you've seen? Did you like it?

This is when you click your HUD and are given a question to ask. You have to ask it in open chat, and have it answered by your dining partner, and then both of you win. Cheering again.

Deoridhe Quandry: What's the most recent movie you've seen? Did you like it?

Deoridhe Starr: I was just watching Campion, which is sort of like a movie. I love it dearly and wish they'd made more of them.

2014-02-03 Mingle_016

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Milan: YOLO, DUDE. JUST GOT A SWEET TATTOO FROM JIM TATTOO. I HEARD IF YOU BRING A FRIEND THEY GET THEIRS FREE. YOU SHOULD TOTALLY GET MATCHING TATTOOS!!!1$#

I was not exactly looking forward the the pain, and then I remembered these are Second Life tattoos - painless, removable, and awesome. The lady behind the counter wasn't much help, but when I and my friend sat down we got matching D tattoos - D for Awesome. And then we were unceremoniously asked to leave.

Mingle Tattoo Chair: Sorry buddy, I ain't got all day to tattoo you both!  Try to figure out what you want done and then go for it again!

2014-02-03 Mingle_017

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Jim: It’s couple’s night at the movie theater! You should find someone to go with. They're playing that movie you love!

That talk earlier about favorite movies gave my doppelganger ideas, and so when Jim let us know about a movie deal, we went off together for the movie theater, bypassing the hug girl this time. It was a good movie, if a bit short.

Mingle Drive-In Seat: Find someone to hop in the car with you to complete the task!
Mingle Drive-In Seat: Relax a bit!  You've got 60 seconds until you're done here. :)

2014-02-03 Mingle_018

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Halogen: Have you ever seen the town from up high? The view from the ferris wheel is amazing, make sure you grab a ticket first!

This one is really tricky - you need to look for the ticket, though of course you can ride after. I can only imagine how difficult it might be to program and entire ferris wheel, so I don't begrudge them the work around.

2014-02-03 Mingle_019

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Flutter: The bonfires on the beach are so cozy on a chilly night like this. You should sit by the fire and snuggle up to someone.

We wandered along the beach after swinging up high in the air and came across the coziest spot - a fire already burning and some blankets handy. We snuggled under to warm up on a night growing increasingly chilly when another text came through.

(no name): Find someone to cuddle on this log with you to complete the task!
(no name): Relax a bit!  You've got 30 seconds until you're done here. :)

2014-02-03 Mingle_020

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Kat: They opened up the tunnel of love again for Valentine's Day! Go check it out!

The Tunnel of Love is right near by, a pretty little ride for two through glowing displays of love and light. You get dumped unceremoniously in the water, cheering, which made me giggle like anything.

Mingle - Swan Buggy: We hope you enjoyed the tunnel of love!  Please make your way safely to the exit.

2014-02-03 Mingle_021

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Biblar: Hey! My work shift just ended at Jenkel's, I left you two free tickets at the ticket booth. Why don't you bring a friend?

Even though my poor doppelganger was yawning - this was quite the most eventful date she'd ever been on - Biblar texted me saying he left us mini-golf tickets. We checked them out and - thank goodness - they were good for the next week. Weekend date for mini-golf; yay!

2014-02-03 Mingle_023

H.A.A. Events: Mingle HUD: New Text Message from Pizza: Where r u? There's an awesome party going on uptown, you have to join us!

I was about to take her home when we hear about a party and she simply insisted - Pizza threw the best parties ever. I clicked on the map and it was like magic - suddenly my doppelganger and I were flying across the sky to a party in the clouds, prizes falling around us like dew. Somehow, we had mingled our way through.

2014-02-03 Mingle_024

There is a bunch of people seeking dates up here - I thought about putting my hat in the wing, but honestly I don't think I have much to offer - as well as the presents. You clock on each bag to get the prize, and there is an image of the prize on the front of almost all of them, which is very handy. I really had a ball with this set of games - even if I think I might have had more fun going through it with a friend rather than a doppelganger. I recommend setting this up as a date for you and someone you like to spend time with, as there's loads along the way to do in addition to the central hunt tasks. There are also some donation spots along the way for people to support more of this sort of thing, and I highly recommend it - I hope they do more creative and fun things like this in the future.

2014-02-03 Mingle_022

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I was wandering around Mingle's gift shop trying to figure out how to get the hud for about 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found it helpful!

    ReplyDelete