Friday, August 31, 2012

2012 Color Challenge: Week 35 - Feldgrau

Manicure

This has been a sad week for me, and a busy month. I've been overwhelmed at work, and just when I thought the breaking-point was near there was a death, so I'm still reeling. Feldgrau was an oddly appropriate color, being roughly the color of concrete on a rainy day, and I ended up fulfilling it on the last day of the Vintage Faire, having spectacularly managed to not go to the sims at all before the last four hours. I have an enormous backlog of inventory, too, and I'm seriously considering hiding under a bush and never coming out! It's funny how too much of a thing - even a wonderful thing like clothing in Second Life - can leave one completely at a loss! Loss has really been a theme lately for me, loss of spirit, loss of mind, loss of people. This last week has been about going underground for me, retreating from interaction in order to regroup and renew. The heat reminds me of the concrete, the rain of the storms around the gulf, the darkness of those moments when one is left alone facing eternity.

Wilting Flower

This dress from Orquidea has been on my wishlist for a while, and when I saw how perfect it was for the color Feldgrau I couldn't resist. It's a beautifully put together dress - the texture all but seamless into the prims (one sculpted, the other flexy) which make up the skirt. The detailing of the top is perfect, looking layered and rich yet still with the bronze, gray, and brown that characterize Steampunk. I paired it with this gorgeous jewelry set from Primalot that thankfully had a brown in its enormous variety of textures that matched the general theme perfectly. I've had this set in my inventory for a while, sequestered away in my new folder under jewelry, and hunted it out when I sorted through some of what waits for me. It's moments like that, when the perfect item simply tumbles out, that I am both saddened and grateful for my enormous backlog of items.

Stepping Out

What really got me started on this look, though, were these awesome stockings from Adore & Abhor - a gorgeous set of satiny stockings with a peacock detail that I simply couldn't resist. As soon as I saw them I knew I needed to pair them with something so I could take naughty upshots, and I think I pulled that off well. The shoes were a find from Censored, a new-to-me store I found wandering aimlessly through the faire; I thought they added a nice retro touch to an outfit which would scandalize anyone in the Victorian Era. The hair from Exile is a recent release, another of his rigged mesh glories, and I paired two of my favorite cosmetic stores over my perennial De La Soul skin - Elymode and Mock hit it out of the park again (I wear Mock's toast lip a lot when I go neutral; funny how that works! I try other lips, I swear, but toast is almost always the perfect neutral shade!). In the end, I ended up really liking this neutral look - despite browns and neutrals not really being on my list of happy things! I'll have to follow this up with something far too bright, though, or I'll lose my rep for over-the-top cheer!

It Is To Laugh

( More pictures here. )

Credits: 

Skin: De La Soul, Aestali - Cream Rose
Eyes: De la Soul, RooMee Rainbow
Ears: Illusion, Seelie Ears
Eyelashes 1: *X*plosion, PrimLashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Eyeshadow: Elymode, Brown and Gold
Lipstick: Mock, Bella Vetro Gloss - Toast
Hair: Exile, Into Dust - Hollywood
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle Wings
Jewelry: Primalot, Fairy Dust
Dress: Orquidea, Steampunk Doll
Stockings: Adore & Abhor, Gloria Tights
Shoes: Censored, Retro Pumps - black/beige

Poses: Adorkable Poses

Location: Cupcake
Light Settings: Places Annamaria
Water Settings: Glassy

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

1 comment: