Thursday, June 20, 2013

Twisted Color Challenge: Week 25: Royal Maple

In the Distance

I went a lot more muted than the given Royal Maple for this weeks twisted color challenge, but I ended up really liking what I pulled together, and had a lot of fun exploring the Kingdom of Jordan to take some muted, rosy pictures. I don't feel particularly muted, which is one thing that makes these pictures so funny; they are so not a reflection of how I'm feeling lately, and yet I find them very soothing, like a warm bath or sunlight on a windy day. The inspiration for this muted serenity was this really fun dress from Lassitude and Ennui which I never thought I would like - and I am so glad I was wrong about that. It combines a lighter shade of the brown on the top, in a sort of sweet cream, with the blue on the bottom, in an icy soft winter sky blue. I ended up matching the creamy brown color to my hair, from Wasabi Pills - a perennial favorite with an adorable braid. The braid is rigged mesh, but the flyaway bits around the face aren't, which means they move separately.The final bit of cream comes from these amazing wrapped heels from SLink, which go with her medium height feet. I love the threaded design; I remember another shoe tied with ribbon from years ago which I wish now I'd picked up, and this shoe is reminiscent of them, though more edgy. There is at least one other store now making shoes for this foot, and I really hope the affiliate program which has gone so well with her nails will be picked up for her feet, since I love open toes shoes so very much.

Since the skirt of the dress is so much longer, I limited the blue and kept it mostly around my head. First there is the eyeshadow, from Elymode, which actually is a blue/brown combination to go with the overall theme. I used a very pale lip from Mock in order to mute down the natural pink of my skin's lips; much as I love the setup from De La Soul, in this case it seemed too bright. Then I added this incredible new release from Eclectica for the Genre event. It's an Art Deco inspired set, and I really love the clean, simple lines which echo some shoes she made ages ago. I'm probably going to try to pull together an entire twenties style outfit sometime soon, and these are the perfect inspiration for it. Finally my nails, both hands and feet, are tinted with one of Adore & Abhor's amazing nail sets; I considered briefly using contrasting colors, but I ended up liking this icy blue as a subtle reminder of the dual colors making up this twisted challenge.

Cream and Ice

I've been reworking my social media in the past couple of days, finally giving in and making a Google+ (G+) account. It's silly really, especially since everyone knows me as Deoridhe so I don't expect anyone to know who Deirdre is, but with Google's forced combination of blogger, YouTube, and GMail, where on the latter two I was constantly getting spammed with G+ sign ups such that I accidentally signed up twice, I figured I'd give them what they want and hopefully they'd leave me alone. Bully logic, but in many ways internet corporations are the biggest bullies, and we play in their playgrounds. So far, I'm not sending out any notices on G+ as there seems to be no way to well... just put it out there; all communications seem to be directed, and that feels too much like spam for me - ironic, since I effectively spam my blog on Plurk. I also signed up to Tumblr, mostly so I could reblog things I liked and stop bookmarking them all. I'm planning to use it as a more off-the-cuff saving center for things which grab my attention, rather than a blog per se, but I plan to announce my posts on there assuming it isn't too much of a pain.

None of these are connected to my main email account; in fact I've been taking steps to divorce as much as I can from that account, so that I have things nicely compartmentalized and organized. It's harder than you would think; I tend to use dedicated web browsers for certain facets of my identity because none of the companies I interact with on the internet are at all interested in allowing for easy compartmentalization, despite the danger of having financial information, legal information, and what videos I like to watch all cross-indexed, especially since they're at vastly different scales of sensitive and private. I don't particularly care who knows Labyrinth is my favorite movie, but I'll be damned if my income is on the internet somewhere. I think the profound lack of respect for the reality that we all have differing levels of information we're comfortable with people having, and that compartmentalizing is actually a healthy and good thing to do, is part of my annoyance with how the internet is currently trying to work, so please - even on G+ where it can't be front and center - call me Deoridhe. That's who I am.

Webwork

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: De La Soul, Candace Creamer
Hair: Wasabi Pills, Lori
Eyes: Nomine, Stained Eyes
Eyeshadow: Elymode, Brown & Sky
Eyelashes: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Lipstick: Mock, Opal Lpcolor Chalky
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle
Jewelry: Silver Wheel, Candy Slices
Hands: SLink, Enhanced Mesh Hands
Nails: Adore & Abhor, Shimmer Fades
Jewelry: Eclectica, Rhapsody (in Blue)
Dress: Lassitude & Ennui Patience
Feet: SLink, Medium Feet
Shoes: SLink, Lulu

Pose: Adorkable

Location: Kingdom of Jordan
Light Settings: Nacon's Dawn
Water Settings: Glassy

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment