Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Colour! Colour! Colour! Week 11: Mostly Desaturated Dark Violet

The Weekly Color Challenge is back this year with a different format, through the Flickr Group Colour! Colour! Colour! Each week is given an RGB code.

This Week's Color is R:132 G:91 B:149 (#845b95)

Colour! Colour! Colour! Week 11: Mostly Desaturated Dark Violet

Class is one of my blind spots when it comes to axes of discrimination, and so I found the Cracked Podcast on class in the US - and the extensive related links - fascinating. I believe I'm middle class; I really recognized myself in the description of looking down both on people from "trailer parks" and people with  "Legacies" for Ivy League Schools. However, I have a lot of fantasies of and aspirations to be classy: I wield power through social leverage instead of physical, I try to have "good taste" and not be garish or lewd, I reify self-control and philanthropy. Ethically, I'm solidly pro-social justice, but examining my own class is unexpectedly unnerving.

There's a secondary conversation at the end about changing social mores which I found really interesting - the point about how rapidly terminology and understanding is changing within individuals of a variety of classes. I think we over-estimate the effects of changes: Civil Rights didn't end racism, Marriage Equality didn't end LGB discrimination, and suffrage didn't end sexism - it's 2016 and we're actually not that progressive on the whole.

If these topics interest you, I've been really struck by both the Cracked Podcast topics and their responsiveness to feedback along social justice lines. It's one of the only male dominated podcasts I listen to regularly because they really help me with building those skills in myself. Their ability to self-examine and rethink things is really admirable.

Next Week's Color is R:122 G:27 B:104 (#7a1b68)

( Colour! Colour! Colour! Album )

Credits: 

Skin: Izzie's, Irene
Hair: Wasabi Pills, Celine
Crown: LODE, Head Accessory - Violets (The Chapter Four)
Eyes: .:Soul:., Oculos
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A

Ears: .:Soul:., Uni Ears
Wings: Deviance, Sidhe
Body: SLink, Hands, Feet
Nails: Dark Passions, Sweet Serenity (Cosmetics Faire)
Outfit: Sn@tch, Emmie Tank Dress

Shoes: Glamistry, Nemesia Ankleboots

Pose: An Lar, The Infiniti Series - Three
Location: My Platform
Windlight Settings: Phototools, B/W Light 12


Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping

No comments:

Post a Comment