Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Art Deco at Right Angles

Art Angled into the Mist

Art Deco is not one of the styles I was initially drawn to, but I have an awesome friend named Tomoyuki who loves it, and who awoke me to it's charms. I'm still not as much an Art Decophile as he is, but when I found out there was a new art gallery with an Art Deco theme I simply couldn't resist! It's all cream tile, glass, and right angles; shiny and sparkling. It fit this awesome dress from R2 Fashion which is also completely shiny and amazing, and this highly stylish hair from Underscore that was just released. I don't quite match - I'm all silvery while the gallery has a golden cast - but I really like the contrasting metallic and glass all mixing together with soft blacks. The geometric art on the walls is reflected beautifully in the columns and large rugs; I think my favorite was the table made up of overlapping cubes, though the fuzzy rug with long textures comes in a close second. The whole aesthetic is sleek and stylish, shiny and cool; I'm surprised it hasn't come back into style again, but perhaps that's because it is more difficult to accomplish without a lot of effort and an awareness of proportion. When you're only working with a couple of colors, a whole lot of other things suddenly become a lot more important!

Right Angles

A conversation with an acquaintance recently unsettle my foundation in the world - not quite quicksand, but a lot got shaken loose. He's quite a bit older than I am, and despite that works much harder for much less money. He's never resentful of the difference; indeed, he's always been very sweet and friendly and he asked about my holidays. I had a lovely time, flying out of town to visit my family and spending almost two weeks paid vacation lounging around and being pampered. He worked. I don't often think of myself as privileged - I'm no where near having enough money to splurge on things all of the time, for example (HINT universe) - but I have only rarely been running low on food, I have my own apartment and enough clothing, and I have both holiday and sick time enough to take it easy when I want to. In many ways I'm very blessed, with a job I love and am good at, a lovely place to live, and people who love and care for me. I wish more people could have this, though. People shouldn't have to work two jobs to live, though, and they should get holidays and sick time.

Geometric

( More pictures here. )

Credits: 

Skin: De la Soul, Aestali - Cream Rose
Eyes: De La Soul, RooMee Eyes - Rainbow
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Eyelashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Eyeshadow: Elymode, Plum & Gold
Ears: Illusions, Seelie Ears
Lipstick 1: Mock, Lucir Lipcolor Lavender
Lipstick 2: Mock, Lucir Lipcolor Orchid
Hair: Underscore, Roll-On Hair
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle
Hands: SLink, Mesh Hands
Dress: r2, Metallic Dress Silver
Stockings: Vextra Fashion, Sheer Stockings
Shoes: r2, Kneehigh Boots Silver

Poses: Glitterati

Location: Art India Gallery
Light Settings: Places Babbage
Water Settings: Glassy

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment