Monday, October 17, 2011

How Not To Ask A Stranger to Change Her Nature in Second Life

Topsy Turvy

So I'm in a public place in Second Life with easily fifteen to twenty other people, most of those within hearing range. And below me pops up a "Naughty & Nice Titler: Anyone may set Attention Seeker's title on /3".

I don't like those titlers, honestly. I find them annoying, spammy, and unnecessarily mechanical; the whole schtick of naughty and nice, the implication of something coy and sexual in places where it's really not appropriate, the demands placed on complete strangers in public, not to mention the spamming effect (and these often 'scold' people when it isn't reset as well). So I do what I usually do - I type "/3 I'm attention seeking". I was in a fairly good mood, so I didn't type in my actual usual, "I am an attention whore."

In open chat I hear:

[20:46] Attention Seeker: ~Thank yyouuuuuuu~
[20:46] Attention Seeker: for the title!!!!!
[20:46] Attention Seeker: Luv it
[20:46] Attention Seeker: Now mind yor own business

I honestly saw that as being the end of it. I never actually even looked at her, or opened her profile.
A little under an hour later, my IMs pop open; I'm leaving the timestamps in for a sense of the full effect. I initially assumed she was the guy hitting on me by comparing me to a Beer Garden picture (too boring to make it here), but it turned out I was wrong. Instead it was the attention seeker. objecting to me calling her.. attention seeking.

[21:25]  Attention Seeker: Hi hi.... A bit earlier you gave me a title that was not very nice....... I was wondering if you would conseider being a bit more considerate of what you put into a titler.....
[21:26]  Deoridhe Quandry: No. ^.^
[21:26]  Attention Seeker: It really bummed me out what you put up there
[21:26]  Deoridhe Quandry: You have a titler on, spamming people in public.
[21:26]  Deoridhe Quandry: I could have been a lot more rude. ^.^
[21:27]  Attention Seeker: I am sorry whenever I TP away from home I do not go into my inventory to remember to take off the titler
[21:27]  Deoridhe Quandry shrugs. "Not my problem. You're wearing it in public."
[21:27]  Attention Seeker: If you dont like it I would prefer you not put it ontop of my head
[21:27]  Deoridhe Quandry: If you take it off, I can't put anything on top of your head. Now please go away.
[21:28]  Attention Seeker: I was not doing anything to harm anyone else.... I was not even talking
[21:28]  Attention Seeker: I do not appreciate such rudeness
[21:28]  Deoridhe Quandry: You put on something allowing strangers to title you.
[21:28]  Attention Seeker: I am not appreciative and I just wanted to let you know
[21:28]  Deoridhe Quandry: I don't appreciate the rudness of you trying to guilt trip me. Please go away.

And she did.

Credits:

Skin: De La Soul, Aestali - Cream Rose
Eyes: De La Soul, Roomee - Rainbow
Eyelashes: Flugeln Brise, Eyelash 5A
Eyeliner: Adam n Eve, Hepsut
Eyeshadow: cheLLe, Tropical (Blue / Teal)
Lipstick:
Ears: Illusions, Mystic Ear - Fairy
Hair: !lamb, Wild Nothing
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle
Necklace: Little Boy Blue, Luxo Necklace - small
Dress and Shoes: Falln Angel Creations, Hecate Dress Purple (with boots and broom)
Ring 1: Alchemy Immortalis, Nestling Finger
Ring 2: Earthstones, Eternal Blossom Ring - Bouquet

Pose: In Situ

Location: .XIV Evanesce
Light Settings: TOR, MIDDAY Rebranded Skies
Water Settings: TOR, Crosshatched Plans

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping only

2 comments:

  1. If I see one of those, I always use the title "Im FUCKING OBNOXIOUS". Works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're an odd sort of thing - to want the feedback of others and yet within prescribed lines.

    ReplyDelete