Friday, February 22, 2013

Single Frame Stories: A Retrospective

Several weeks ago, Whiskey Monday said something which stuck with me in response to the Single Frame Stories I've been irregularly participating in:
"There is a inclination to compare our work to others. Especially when our works are practically side by side in the gallery, it would be difficult not to compare them. I’ve found that comparing my work to other art can make me feel discouraged. I see an amazing viewpoint or interpretation of the prompt and I wish I had thought of that.

"It’s important for me (and maybe for us all) to remember that this isn’t a competition. There are no winners or losers here. If we all work to the best of our abilities to create something that shows our own viewpoint, then we’ve succeeded. As a group, our galleries here are impressive and inspiring to others. Individually, each of us brings our own style and perspective, and rather than worry about measuring up to each other, we should worry about inspiring one another."

She also said, [E]ven our most frivolous, clichéd or reflexive work reflects a deep and pervasive web of subconscious stories and associations. Pretty cool, huh?"

That got me thinking about what could be seen in my own string of images, if they were held up side by side, so now and then I'll be doing a retrospective - just a list of all of the images up to a certain date - since I don't always do a post for each one. The next retrospective will pick up where this one left off.

Single Frame Story Challenge 1 - Last Words
Last Words

Single Frame Story - Challenge 2 Illumination
Illumination

Single Frame Stories: Challenge 7 - Depth Perception
Depth Perception

Objectification
Objectification

In Retrospect
In Retrospect...

Driven
Driven

Sweet Surrender
Surrender

Surrender to the Inevitability of Ignorance
Surrender

Genius
Genius

Simple - Nutshell
Simple

Shot in the Dark
Shot in the Dark

Critique This
Critique

Single Frame Story - Humility
Humility

Single Frame Story: Easy
Fall

Secret
Secret

Black and White: Pathetic Joke
Black and White

Black and White: Shadow and Light
Black and White

Swatter Aftermath
Flight

Single Frame Story - Service
Service

Single Frame Story - Anonymous
Anonymous

Single Frame Story - Switch_001
Switch

Single Frame Stories: Edge
Edge

No comments:

Post a Comment