Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sunday Squee: The Last Unicorn

The Sunday Squee is about things that make me happy and excited. From books to movies to television shows to podcasts, I'll highlight less commonly known things as a way to share what I love. If you want to join in the Sunday Squee, please link back to me, magnifying both of our joy.

Sunday Squee: The Last Unicorn

It was a chilly night when I first saw The Last Unicorn in the theater. We stopped for dinner first; I remember the glow of the stained glass decorations int he restaurant, the red and white checked tablecloth I traced patterns on, the long walk through the dark. It hangs like a gem in my memory, immortalized as a formative work - all beauty and grief and terror. The journey from innocence, through suffering and education to knowledge and regret is captivating every time. The true enemy of the Last Unicorn is her own nature, and throughout the story it is that which is bent, distorted, and changed into something new and yet no less eternal.

As an adult I embraced the book with it's humor and anachronisms, but the underlying messages - of kindness, of enduring despair, of those regrets we cherish - were drawn into even sharper relief. To live is to hurt, and much of becoming an adult is learning to carry our losses lightly and cherish even those we no longer have.

( Other enchantment pictures here. )

Credits: 

Carts: deviousMind, "The Midnight Carnival" Menagerie (Enchantment - Gacha)
Location: Realm of Ozryn: Forests of Tera
Windlight Settings: Phototools, Fashion Path Light 01

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping

No comments:

Post a Comment