Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sunsets and Pumpkins

Pumpkin Patch 

Something happened tonight which has happened before and will happen again; someone in one of my groups spoke up with a slur (in this case a phonetic rendering of faggot), insulting a browser, and I objected in the group - where the slur was. The usual resulted; 'why are you starting drama,' 'why didn't you take it to private ims,' 'why are you so oversensitive,' 'I have a transexual friend so...,' 'if words hurt you, you're stupid,' along with the expected insults to my character and intelligence. Interestingly, there was an indirect call on using the term 'class,' which is something I have to think about; I think one can call out bigoted language without being classist, so I'll need to work on my own language in the future.

As always, the interactions pissed me off - but at this point not speaking up would piss me off worse, so I went forward. As usual, my heartbeat picked up; this time my hands literally shook. I was upset for a good half hour, shaking, disturbed; but the use of the slur and the defense of using slurs stopped, so I was happy.

Looking back on it, I can see nothing I'd want to change but my own inherent classism (a big weak spot of mine, along with ableism). I just wish, hope, pray that someday these interactions won't be necessary because using a slur will be unthinkable.

Credits: 

Skin: De la Soul, Kei - Cream
Eyes: De La Soul, Roomee Eyes - Rainbow
Eyeshadow: Elymode, brown & gold
Eyeliner: Adam n Eve, Hepsut
Lashes: Flugeln Brise, Eyelash 5
Blush: H+K, cheeks 3
Lipstick: MOCK, Brazen Bronze Lipstain
Ears: Illusions, Mystic Ear
Hair: Analog Dog, tangled - candy
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle
Dress: Falln Angel Creations, Mianoa Robes - orange
Jewelry: EarthStones, Nataliya - Rainbow
Ring 1: Alchemy Immortalis, Nestling Finger
Ring 2: Earthstones, Eternal Blossom Ring - Bouquet
Shoes: G Field, Ribbon Slingback Shoes - salmon

Pose: Glitterati, 184

Location: Falln Amusements

Light Settings: Places Eugene BL

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping only

No comments:

Post a Comment