Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sunday Squee: Eurovision Song Contest

The Sunday Squee is when I can talk about things that make me happy and excited. The main focus will be on different things people created, from books to movies to television shows to podcasts, and my effort will be to highlight less commonly known things as a way to share what I love. If you want to join in the Sunday Squee, please link back to me so I can enjoy what you love!

N'oubliez Pas by Lisa Angell representing France

I blame you all - yes even you! - for not telling me about this sooner.

Beauty Never Lies by Bojana Stamenov representing Serbia
(Content Notes: Strobe Lights)

I'm angry! I'm really angry! Well, yes, I can't stop smiling and I keep giggling at inopportune moments - but I'm angry, really! I could have known about this years ago, and yet I found out about it last night.

Adio by Knez representing Montenegro
(Content note: flashing lights)

You were all leaving me out.

Love Injected by Aminata representing Latvia
(Content Note: Strobe lights)

Eurovision is DELIGHTFUL. Yes, the all caps is necessary - you must feel what I am feeling! It is such a divine mix of the serious, the absurd, the portentous, and a pile of giggles. Everyone takes it so seriously - as they should! - without taking it seriously at all, and I am seriously in love.

I watched the whole thing on YouTube.

De La Capat / All Over Again by Voltaj representing Romania

For people new to it like I am, the Eurovision Song Contest is a giant party Europe throws so everyone can trash talk each other, enjoy each other, come together in rage and joy. It began in the wake of World War Two, in 1956, and welcomes not just Europe proper but a small cadre of surrounding countries. The first was held in Switzerland among seven ocuntries, each submitting two songs. The contest this year began with a total of 40 countries, winnowed down to 27 for the Grand Final. A whole ton of countries come together, make a video representing their country, and then sing a song. The songs are judged by panels from each country as well as the residents of each country in a 50/50 split.

Amanecer by Edurne representing Spain
(Content Note: Flashing Lights)

There are all kinds of subtleties I'm sure I'm missing. Tumblr assures me that shade, trash talk, and critique in the form of point refusal is rampant. The videos introducing each country seem pregnant with meaning, what is shown and what is not equally important. All I know is that wonderful people come out with fantastic stage performances and whatever quality they might be on any sort of scale, the sheer dedication and enthusiasm is infectious.


Wars For Nothing by Boggie representing Hungary

I'm putting the videos I enjoyed the most (it was so difficult to pick! I just kept adding!) in between these admittedly short paragraphs. I can't really say much more than they can show - but to my eternal bliss and glory there are years of these on the internet, free to watch. I will be bouncing and giggling for a very long time, and I have you to thank for it, Europe!

Warrior by Nina Sublatti representing Georgia 
(Content Note: Flashing Lights)

The winner this year was Sweden, with Heros.

Heroes by Måns Zelmerlöw representing Sweden
(Content Note - strobe lights)

Sincerely, thank you! This has been a hard year. Your party makes it much more fun.

Eurovision Grand Final 2012 in Azerbaijan (Song List)
Eurovision Grand Final 2010 in Norway (Song List)

No comments:

Post a Comment