Monday, September 3, 2012

Venice in the Mists

By the Gondola

It's interesting to me how much our expectations affect what we see and what we take out of something. Nextflix has a new feature where when you're watching a series, the next episode starts up automatically. However, just like Pandora Radio, they like to check and make sure you're still watching - and they decided to time it with every other episode. When I'm watching something short, like a half hour show, this means every hour it stops - however it doesn't stop at the beginning of the show, but rather two minutes in.

Now, when it didn't start automatically, I actually used it as a timer. I get up and do something around the house when an episode ends, then hit the next episode to begin. This means I get stuff done, but I don't exhaust myself and maybe throw out my back - a system that works. However, two minutes into an episode, instead of feeling happy I get a prompt to get up and do things, I feel pissed at the premature stopination - illogical in many ways, but a definite thing. It actually pissed me off enough that I wanted to turn off Netflix altogether when I couldn't find a way to turn it off; I ended up calling their customer support about it. With any luck... at least the option to turn it off will show up!

Hidden Treasure

But that all ties into expectation - the expectation of a show to continue after it began, the expectation of being able to turn off something you don't like, expectations that ultimately ruin the experience because of how it rolls out. Sometimes I think there's something similar in Second Life, where people have expectations not only of others but also of themselves which cause them to limit what they see and do. You select the people you can focus on, both in world and out of it, and they shape the world you build around you. This is even more true in a place like Second Life, where lots of small communities can form in near isolation and reinforce themselves into infinity. There is always judgement and critique to be found - everyone is ugly in someone else's eyes - but there is also care and support if you're willing to give it to others.

Turning a Corner

As a side note - the skin is a group gift from De La Soul; the group costs money to join, but check out the gorgeousness! This is a preview of a new skin she's releasing with pink makeup on it. It's a bit of a softer and more mature look than my usual Aestali skin, and while it was created to go on a more Angelina Jolie style mouth, it suits my shape just fine out of the box. The awesome hair is from Alice Project; I love the amazing curls in the back, and it comes with and without bangs. The dress is an old purchase from Blue Blood; the delicate patterning on it really blew me away and I couldn't resist prancing around Venice in it - even if I was a little out of style - don't tell the roleplayers (remember to grab a tag if you're exploring)! The shoes are a very old purchase from Eclectica, and come both patterned the way you see above, and primarily black with colored trim.

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: De La Soul, Candace - Cream - Sakura (Group Gift)
Eyes: De la Soul, RooMee Rainbow
Ears: Illusion, Seelie Ears
Eyelashes 1: *X*plosion, PrimLashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Hair: Alice Project, Shirley
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle Wings
Jewelry: Glow, Studio Earrings
Dress: Blue Blood, Inima RED
Shoes: Eclectica, Garden Party shoes

Poses: Glitterati

Location: Venexia
Light Settings: TOR, FOGGY Southern delite
Water Settings: Glassy

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment