Tuesday, August 7, 2012

2012 Color Challenge: Week 32 Jonquil

Rime and Reason

Jonquil is a bright, cheerful, bouncy color that reminds me of summer wheat in the fields, or the flan I've recently gotten addicted to. Ironically, I ended up with icy scenes for this week - a solitary flowering of color here and there on a chilly, cool scene. High contrast, like hot fudge on cold vanilla ice cream, or the bite of icy at noon on Lammas. I have a weakness for high contrast; in Goth music I always liked the piping soprano above the bass baritone, the delicate cast against the resonant. I've left my apartment white both because I'm too lazy to paint it and so that the white can serve as a backdrop to my brilliantly shaded belongings and decorations. I've been spending the last several weekends working toward rearranging and cleaning things up, and it's been amazing to watch it gradually take shape in between other tasks.

All Right!

When I was in my teens, I took a class on making masks. It was at one of those self-reflective sorts of things, and most people went all meditative and subtle with their representations of themselves. I ended up deciding the black paint wasn't black enough and covering my mask with the back side of brilliant black and red fabric, so that it appeared black with even darker patterns on it. A black band of sequins divides the face between the eyes, but angled slightly, and below the bangles falls a vivid cloth of iridescent teal on black. I added feathers and a bit of gold, just to keep things interestingly, and the final result was such a stark contrast to the rest of the group that I have to admit I felt embarrassed by it; it was so theatrical and dramatic compared to everyone else's creations; it was such high contrast from the high minded and often ethereal conference. It still hangs on my wall, though, and I think it remains one of the clearer representations of myself, in all of my flashy, dramatic glory.

Caught in Crystal

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: De La Soul, Aestali - Cream Rose
Eyes: De la Soul, RooMee Rainbow
Ears: Illusion, Seelie Ears
Eyelashes: *X*plosion, PrimLashes
Eyeshadow: Pin Me Down, Soft Shadows 2
Lipstick: Mock, Glasside Lip - Trinidad
Hair: Wasabi Pills, Veronica Mesh
Jewelry: Elemental, Sunray Earrings
Dress: Edelweiss, Marchen - yellow
Shoes: Duh!, White Mary Janes

Location: Ogasawara
Light Settings: Places Kingsport
Water Settings: Glassy

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment